2010年7月31日星期六

Overton Leads Greenbrier Classic; Holmes Shoots 60

The Outdated White Training at Greenbrier Resort in White Sulfur Springs, W. Va., continues being a delight for that PGA Tour players through 3 rounds with the inaugural $6 million event.

Jeff Overton maintained his 36-hole lead, carding a 4-under 66 in Saturday's spherical. The 27-year-old stands at 18-under 192 via 54 holes, 3 photos ahead of D.A. Things, who fired a 9-under 61 Saturday.

A different stroke back again at 197 is Boo Weekley, who followed up his 63 Friday which has a 67.

Tied for fourth at 198 are four avid gamers, including J.B. Holmes, who flirted with tying the PGA Tour's all-time report of 59 prior to settling for any 60. The others in that team were Jonathan Byrd (64), Brendon de Jonge (65) and Jimmy Walker (67).<br>

Overton was given away from to a little bit of the rocky begin, with two bogeys in his initial five holes. However the Indiana native reeled off six birdies - which includes 5 on the rear 9 - from there on out for the tidy 66.

"It was kind of brutal there for the start off. I had been not rather in my element," he explained. "You have was given to hang in there challenging mentally and I was capable to hang in there."

Mainly because in the prime scoring situations within the historic study course, Overton is well mindful that no lead is secure at Old White. "If you get it proceeding you are able to really go reduced out below and somebody back there behind me is going to visit nuts tomorrow," he mentioned. "I'm heading to have to occur out and enjoy effectively and have loads of enjoyment. We will see what happens." (See beneath for Overton's total post-round interview.)

After 6 birdies about the front 9, Tips manufactured the change in 28. He carded four additional birdies before a bogey for the par-5 17th hole. He says later he was striving to not not focus on the all-time mark, which was tied earlier this 12 months by Paul Goydos a few weeks back in the John Deere Classic.

"I was wanting actually hard to not give thought to it," Points stated. "If I'm heading to test shooting 59, trying to play great, I'm planning to go down striving, not laying up.

Despite the bogey that undid his run at the report mark, Things experienced an excellent time Saturday. "It was lots of fun. I received somewhat nervous coming lower the stretch. When I received in that bunker at 17, I got nervous. I failed to wish to get very greedy. There is certainly nonetheless a tournament to be won."

Because it turned out, a bogey within the par-3 third hole prevented Holmes from a magic 59. After generating the turn in 4-under 30 thanks to 5 birdies, he carded 6 a lot more birdies on the again - which include the last three holes - for another 30.

"I created a bogey on several, but it was just a good evening," said the 28-year-old Kentuckian. "My turn about the rear nine around 12 and 13, I believed, Properly, you are aware of, if I've a truly excellent finish maybe I could give it a shot . .<br> . I was hitting it close. I come to a few inside a foot, so Far better definitely on while using wedges today. I'm adding very good. I used to be carrying out everything fairly great today. You already know, when it all clicks like that, golf is a lot of enjoyment."

After his late round from the 60s, Overton met with reporters.

MODERATOR: Like to welcome Jeff Overton. Jeff, struggles truly, carry us by way of all those after which it how you closed out today, after which we'll acquire some issues.

JEFF OVERTON: Just type of a weird start out. Decided not to really strike it that poor. Just sort of flubbed a several chips and attack good putts. They just form of, I never know, they just variety of bounced all around the hole around. Seemed like the first seven or eight holes the greens are truly beat up. But I played well. I missed some putts early, and be able to a full bunch of putts kind of fell in late for me past due, luckily. It absolutely was excellent to view a several putts go in.

MODERATOR: Queries.

Q. You were talking about visitors for the greens causing somewhat little of trouble using the adding late from the day time. Is the fact popular everywhere, or is the fact that a thing that's...

JEFF OVERTON: It really is rather typical. I feel just it really is a bit the greens are so new the following that the base hasn't quite are available in absolutely the way it could. I imagine future year this area is going to be magnificent. I do not feel it'll be a problem. You'll find it just the greens are nonetheless just slightly new. And just a few 'em. It's not like it's every a person. It can be merely a several the following and there.

Q. Do what D.A. did out there have an impact on your enjoy at all?

JEFF OVERTON: You are aware of, I failed to even really know what he was doing. Then I looked up, and if anything at all, I may possibly have helped me. I'm like, Jeez, what have you been accomplishing here, Jeff? Start off away participating in so crappy, after which it right here he is 3 photos up. I'm like, All right we received to acquire some thing planning the following and form of buckled in and produced some putts. After which I decided not to have anything thought he doubled 17. I just discovered this out just a little little back. He was participating in some unbelievable golf being 11-under planning in there. That's unfortunate. Oh, he bogeyed it? Okay.

Q. But nevertheless.

JEFF OVERTON: Yeah.

Q. Like you says, you had struggled a little little early. How rough is it to obtain a later on tee time? Because it can be not like you are sleeping in right up until noon. You're getting up at a typical time, which causes it to be a 13-, 14-hour working day.

JEFF OVERTON: Yeah, I mean, you'll find it one particular, a fifty percent dozen from the other. However it undoubtedly causes it to be tougher just simply because the greens, I mean, each and every position you have fun with the greens are just a little little bit far more bumpy. Which is what I think is incredible about Tiger, some of the stressors he is received with all all those wins, he is playing inside ultimate group and with these bumpy greens, and he's just pulling in from everywhere. It doesn't phase him. That is what we received to arrive at.

Q. Shopping ahead to following yr in this tournament, must the Greenbrier make any alter inside the Aged White Course, or just maintain it a similar?

JEFF OVERTON: I imagine you'll find it an brilliant spot, awesome setup. You know, it's genuinely neat. We really don't truly get to play overly many golf courses like this wherever in the event you genuinely your driver planning you can attack some wedges in. Simultaneously, I mean, there are a few penalizing spots. In case you hit it inside the incorrect destinations in existence, it is possible to get into some critical trouble.

Q. You stated the greens should be superior future yr than they...

JEFF OVERTON: I believe just normally I believe they are gonna be. They're not that negative. Just like I says, you will find just a couple of 'em.

Q. You started out out a couple of around, and you also appear and at times you see the scoreboard. You pointed out yesterday the scores which are obtainable, the other guys are proceeding, J.B. shoots 60. When do you figure soon after you looked at D.A., you say, I've gotta get it planning because everybody else is undertaking this and it's the same golf training. Ultimately all of your sudden you start off coming up with a 66. When do you sense like you turned it all around in existence?

JEFF OVERTON: You know, Far better hitting some fine pictures. You realize, I missed a little five-footer on 2 and missed a two and a half, three-footer on 5 and missed a couple other tiny birdie putts. I'm playing fine, you'll find it just I had been putting awful. You know, I attack a couple arrogant pictures, but acquired fortunate and they weren't in very bad a places. And, you already know, then out on 8, the par-3, I saw the leaderboard. There is a board there, and I had been like, Jeez, D.A. is lighting it up. I realized that he could possibly get it to 17 less than. I realized that's most likely about as reduced as he would go. I had been sitting there pondering, We must make a few birdies to are available in to at least hang in the following with him. We manufactured a putt, and that was genuinely critical when that putt fell in for me on 8. After which it 9 and 10, I just variety of failed to really birdie individuals following getting in definitely good places. But we have been ready to just variety of fight out a variety of rough starting in the day time and hit some really fantastic shots and putts coming lower the last 9 holes.

Q. Inside your spherical of 62, it absolutely was noted that there seemed to be only a person green into which you didn't hit a wedge. Currently were there any greens into which you decided not to arrive at a wedge, and which were definitely they?

JEFF OVERTON: Naturally the par-3s, they are too lengthy. But, um, oh, man. I can't even imagine. I believe there is a person somewhere. Really, I may not even have acquired a 9-iron in. You know what? I did. I experienced about -- on No. eleven, I consider -- not No. 11. What hole was that? Oh, it turned out on the list of longer holes. Yeah, eleven. Hang on. Yeah, 11 I strike it more than there to the correct and practically come to it out of bounds. Obtained genuine lucky. I had like 150. I will not imagine I would have arrive at pitching wedge in there today. It turned out in the wind. After all, it is a 477-yard hole. It really is not like's a short, effortless hole or anything. In case you strike it lower the suitable side and get in to the bunker, it is not an easy hole. You'll find it just amongst people points that if the fairways get firm like they are plus the greens get soft, the guy that hits it 315 away from the tee winds up hitting it 330 and has 150 yards into a softer green. When you miss the fairway you received absolutely nothing. It is rough, so..<br>.

Q. Certainly you most likely answered this already. We experienced a 61 nowadays; you go low as effectively. What's it gonna bring on Sunday to acquire household this tournament? What do you consider score-wise?

JEFF OVERTON: A good spherical. You received to enjoy nicely. I mean, somebody which is 12-under right now, I never know how numerous guys there are, but I am sure amongst those people men are gonna shoot 65 or far better as least. D.A., I am sure he's likely itching to visit shoot a thing lower immediately after sort of messing up on 17. There may be gonna be some good scores tomorrow, and it can be gonna take a fantastic rating to win.

MODERATOR: Thank you, Jeff. Great luck tomorrow.

JEFF OVERTON: Thanks.

The transcript for the above interview is courtesy of ASAP Sports.

没有评论:

发表评论